Texts for an Interfaith Ketubah
Interfaith weddings represent a beautiful moment: the joining of two traditions into one family. This gives interfaith couples the opportunity to create a ketubah that not only appeals to them artistically, but also symbolizes the coming together of their religions and traditions.
English Texts for an Interfaith Ketubah
One of the great things about an interfaith ketubah is that there is so much flexibility. Since you are not required to follow any specific tradition, you can use pretty much any text you like! I specifically wrote all of my English texts (except for a couple) to be a natural fit for Interfaith ketubahs and weddings. Take a look:
Poetic Verses for an Interfaith Ketubah
Each of my ketubah features a large poetic verse incorporated into the design. I offer both traditional Jewish blessings as well as a number of non-religious sayings from people such as Aristotle, Thoreau, and Ghandi. You can choose to have the verse be in both English and Hebrew, or in just English.
Popular Traditional Verses
- This is my beloved, this is my friend
- I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine
- You and I, in joy and happiness without end
- I have found the one in whom my soul delights
- The voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the groom and the voice of the bride
- Let our souls and spirits intertwine
- When I go forth to find you, I find you seeking me
Modern and Interfaith Verses
- Love must be as much a light as it is a flame (Henry Thoreau)
- Life is the flower for which love is the honey (Victor Hugo)
- To live without loving is not really to live (Moliere)
- Where there is love there is life (Gandhi)
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies (Aristotle)
- Now join your hands, and with your hands your hearts (Shakespeare)
My last advice
When you review all your options and decide how you want your ketubah to read, I always recommend you check with your officiant. This is especially true when using Hebrew texts. Your officiant may have things they require, or even some great suggestions for you.